Monday, April 15, 2013

The Beauty of a Child's Song



I was preparing my lunch today, in the solitude of an empty house. As I worked in the kitchen, I was absentmindedly singing a praise song that had been in my mind when I woke up this morning--"Better is One Day." Slowly, an awareness of God's presence crept up on me and I had to smile when He reminded me of a memory that I held as a precious treasure in my heart...


  
It was so many years ago, but I still remember. My son was so small back then. He was maybe a year old and he had not learned very many words yet. (He never lacks for them now!) One day, he was playing in his room. As I happened to walk down the hallway, I overheard him singing a song that was more full of joy than anything I had ever heard.

His song consisted of a single word repeated over and over: "Mommy."

I will never forget how much that warmed my heart as love for my child welled up within me. It took my breath and brought tears to my eyes. In that moment, I adored my son more than I ever have. I cherished every hair on his sweet little head.

As I came back to the present, God spoke one thing to my heart: He delights in my song the same way. I love this line from the hymn, "There's Within My Heart a Melody" by Luther B. Bridgers:

Feasting on the riches of His grace
Resting 'neath His sheltering wing
Always looking on His smiling face
That is why I shout and sing

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Sweetest Name I know
 Fills my every longing
Keeps me singing as I go

Be blessed today, friends.
-P

No comments:

Post a Comment